If you have a nagging pain in your jaw, it may be due to problems with your temporomandibular joints (TMJ). An uneven bite and teeth grinding are among the dental issues that can irritate and inflame the joints. Our dentists can solve those problems and relieve your pain with TMJ treatment in The Woodlands.
We’ll treat your TMJ disorder so you can:
- Be free of unpleasant symptoms like headaches, shoulder strain, earaches, and jaw pain
- Regain comfortable range of motion with your jaw
- Avoid dental damage caused by teeth grinding (bruxism)
- Keep pain from spreading from your face to other areas of your body
- Enjoy a more comfortable bite
We Use Several Methods to Treat Your TMJ Pain
Many dentists treat TMJ dysfunction with some kind of a custom mouthguard that relieves pressure on your jaw. At Smiles by Burgess, we use a self-adjusting oral splint called the Aqualizer. In contrast to other kinds of mouthguards, it helps your body naturally find the right bite to relieve your TMJ pain. We may be able to treat your TMJ problem with just the Aqualizer, or we can use it to create a customized mouthguard for you.
In addition, we may suggest:
- An Equilibration Procedure – Our dentists carefully and painlessly alter the biting surfaces of your teeth for a more permanent correction of your bite. Correcting your bite often relieves pressure that can cause TMJ symptoms.
- Referral to a Specialist – In some cases, we’ll refer you to Dr. Katherine Phillips, a local dentist who specializes in treatment of both sleep apnea and TMJ disorders. These two conditions often appear in tandem.