At Smiles by Burgess, we work hard to provide you with a stress-free atmosphere, complete with amenities like soft pillows and complimentary lip balm. Dr. Burgess and our team have the experience to keep you comfortable. We even receive compliments about how our soft touch results in pain-free injections! We understand, though, that there are times where you may still feel anxious. In those cases, sedation options in The Woodlands will help.Dr Gorman Talks about Sedation Dentistry Read Transcript
So, we can make anxious patients more comfortable in a couple of different ways. If I can prove to them with adequate anesthesia that they're not going to feel any pain, a lot of times that's all that's necessary. For some patients, that's just not enough, in which case we could move to something a little more like laughing gas, the (inaudible). That's just enough to take the edge off, so a patient that's kind of on the cusp, we can use something like that to help calm their anxiety down and still be able to provide treatment for them.
Some cases require a little more, and we have to look at some prescription medications, something that they would take before they come into the office, have someone drive them here. We could use that in conjunction with the laughing gas to really get them sedated properly so that they can be comfortable and not have anxiety while we're performing the treatment. Then they'll have someone drive them home afterwards.
Our dental sedation will:
- Allow you to more easily undergo long or complex procedures
- Enable you to get the smile you’ve always wanted, with no worries about discomfort
- Give you a choice of three different levels of relaxation
- Make it possible for patients of all ages to receive a safe form of sedation
- Help you overcome a sensitive gag reflex or other barriers to treatment
To find out more about the types of dental sedation we offer, call 281-720-3163. Our dentists are happy to review your medical history, discuss your concerns, and help determine which form of sedation will work best for you.
Get the Smile You Deserve Without Worry or Pain
Inhaled sedation, also called laughing gas, can be given even to young children. You receive it through a small mask worn over your nose. It takes effect quickly and allows us to easily adjust the amount you receive during your procedure. It also wears off quickly. Unlike some other forms of sedation, it won’t leave you with any lingering grogginess. You’ll even be able to drive yourself home after treatment!
For a deeper level of relaxation than you can get with laughing gas, you can choose:
- Oral Sedation – We’ll provide you with a safe prescription pill you take prior to your treatment. It will make you less aware of your surroundings than laughing gas, though you’ll still be able to communicate with us during your procedure. You may remain groggy for a while, so you’ll need to arrange a ride home.
- IV Sedation – Administered intravenously, this sedation provides an almost dreamlike state. It works especially well for lengthy procedures. You will not remember much about your treatment when it’s over. You’ll receive it via IV – but our patients often compliment us on our soft touch.