- Metal-free fillings look natural, not obvious
- You can get dental sedation if you need it
- Avoid potentially harmful mercury with our fillings
If you have cavities, the usual fix is tooth fillings in The Woodlands. While it’s one of our most common dental restorations, we take uncommon care to ensure your filling looks and feels great. Our dental fillings are made of tooth-colored composite instead of metal.
In our office, we use tooth-colored fillings, known as dental bonding or composite fillings, to restore decayed teeth, fractured teeth, and also to replace old silver amalgam fillings in the teeth. So what we have is the ability to use some chemistry to actually bond chemically to the teeth and create a good seal of that filling, whereas the old silver fillings had a gap, and they leaked and they got decay, and they also cracked and split the teeth. We can match the shapes and the shades. It’s a plastic polymer material resin, which allows us to seal the tooth up and get the bite correctly, and allows for many years of service in where it’s more flexible than the silver fillings, and it allows the teeth to bend and flex. And when we do have a problem – nothing lasts forever – we can actually examine that bonded filling and see if there’s any stain or leakage and replace it much more early, and have a much more desirable outcome, and save more tooth structure.
This means they:
- Blend readily into your smile instead of standing out like metal fillings
- Are less likely than metal fillings to develop small cracks over time, which can create an entry point for decay
- Contain no mercury or other elements that have been linked to long-term health concerns
- Require less alteration of healthy tooth structure than metal fillings
If you think you may need a dental filling, call us today at 281-720-3163.
Choose the Right Dental Restoration for Your Cavity
We use dental fillings to repair many cavities. However, based on the size of the cavity and severity of the decay, you may need one of our other dental restorations:
- Dental Crown – Since it completely covers your tooth, a dental crown can repair even the largest cavities. We use porcelain over zirconia for a crown that looks beautiful while withstanding heavy chewing force.
- Inlay – An inlay is larger than a filling but smaller than a crown. It covers the top surface of your tooth.
- Onlay – Similar to an inlay, an onlay also covers one or more of the cusps on your tooth and can extend onto the sides.
With all our dental restorations, we choose a shade that closely matches the rest of your smile. None of our restorations are metal. Though the FDA has approved the use of mercury in restorations for most ages, we think it’s best to avoid it whenever possible.
Get Dental Sedation If You Need It
We’ll thoroughly numb you with local anesthesia before your procedure. Our patients often compliment us on our gentle touch with anesthesia! If you’re still anxious or worried about discomfort, you can also receive one of three kinds of dental sedation: laughing gas, an oral sedative, or IV sedation. We’ll typically advise using only light sedation for this treatment, though you may want a deeper level of relaxation if you’re getting multiple fillings.
For tooth fillings in The Woodlands, call Smiles by Burgess at 281-720-3163.