- We use a laser to comfortably treat gum disease
- No scalpel or sutures are needed with laser treatment
- We offer both preventive and therapeutic treatment
At Smiles by Burgess, we use advanced dental technology in every area of our practice where it can make your treatment more effective and comfortable. Gum disease treatment in The Woodlands is one such area. While treatment has traditionally involved a scalpel and sutures, we treat gum disease with a dental laser.Dr Burgess on Gum Care and Exams Read Transcript
Well, at our practice, your gum health is important. It’s very important to us, and it’s important to you because this is the foundation of your teeth and the bones and really, your whole mouth’s function. So we keep a good, watchful eye on your gum health. When you come in, and if we examine you and discover you’ve got some gum problems, we’re going to offer treatment early so it doesn’t progress to greater problems.
If you have moderate problems, we’re able to treat that with you as well, through the use of good probing examination, so we can understand the progress of it. We’re going to offer some options for treatment to remove the problem as it occurs, which is really deposits under the gums which cause this inflammation of your gums. We all know about that.
And, as necessary, if you have more advanced gum disease, we can actually treat that in our office, with making you comfortable with anesthetics and sedation as needed for you to be comfortable, by using lasers to go in and treat the diseased tissue, by treating those more advanced things, but still keeping you comfortable during the process. We’re going to keep you on a re-care system here to keep it under control so we can do everything to work with you to maintain your health.
Our laser-assisted treatment:
- Is Minimally Invasive – No cutting or stitches are needed with laser gum disease treatment. This means the procedure is far more comfortable for you.
- Is Fast – A laser enables us to complete your procedure far more quickly.
- Targets Only Diseased Tissue – A laser is so precise it will remove only diseased tissue while not affecting your healthy tissue.
- Enables a Quicker Recovery – A laser helps us keep the area we’re treating sterile, so there is little risk of infection. The laser also cauterizes the tissue as we work, which minimizes bleeding and seals out bacteria. This results in faster healing.
We look for signs of gum disease during every dental exam, as it’s easiest to treat in its early stages. If your gums are bleeding or you’re showing other gum disease symptoms, don’t wait until your next exam; call us ASAP at 281-720-3163.
Let Us Help You Stop The Progression of Gum Disease
Gum disease is caused when bacteria accumulate between your teeth and gums. In early stages, you may experience mild discomfort, bleeding, and other symptoms. We can often stop the disease at this point with a thorough dental cleaning.
If left untreated, your gums pull away from teeth, creating openings that make it easier for bacteria to collect in “pockets” between teeth and gums. At this stage, we use a procedure called scaling and root planing to remove bacteria from below your gumline and around your tooth roots. Without this treatment, your connective tissue and bone begins to break down, which can cause you to lose teeth.
Our Technology Can Help Prevent Gum Disease
In addition to treating gum disease, we also use our laser to help prevent it from occurring in the first place. For instance, you can receive:
- Laser Bacterial Reduction Therapy – During your regular dental cleanings, we can use our laser to remove bacteria.
- Pocket Irrigation – This treatment reduces the size of “pockets” between teeth and gums and keeps them free of bacteria.
For gum disease treatment in The Woodlands, call 281-720-3163.