Many of our services, like cosmetic dentistry and restorative dentistry, are focused on solving problems. Dental cleanings and exams in The Woodlands help prevent problems from occurring in the first place. You’ll also likely visit our office more for exams than for any other service. So our team does all we can to ensure they’re a good experience for you and your family.
Our exams and cleanings:
- Help keep your teeth looking and feeling fantastic
- Allow us to find problems like cavities and gum disease in their earliest stages, when they are easiest to treat
- Give us an opportunity to get to know and understand all your dental needs and preferences
- Enable Dr. Burgess or Dr. Thornton to look for signs of issues like teeth grinding, sleep apnea, and even oral cancer
- Allow our team to share oral hygiene best practices with you, so you can take better care of your teeth at home
We suggest visiting our office for dental cleanings and exams every six months. If you need to schedule an appointment, call us today at 281-720-3163.
When you visit us, your hygienist will take X-rays and photos, review your health and dental histories, and discuss your needs. Dr. Burgess or Dr. Thornton will then perform a thorough dental exam. We’ll perform a dental cleaning that day or schedule one for another time. If your dentist finds signs of gum disease, you’ll need a special deep cleaning to kill the bacteria that causes the disease. You never need to worry about discomfort; we use a numbing gel for comfortable cleanings.
Our Technology Helps Us Catch Dental Problems Early
Some dental practices save their advanced technology for surgery and other complicated procedures. At Smiles by Burgess, we use it for every aspect of your care, including your dental exams. Among the tools we may use for your checkups:
- Laser Cavity Detection – This tool uses laser fluorescence to detect cavities before the naked eye can see them.
- Intraoral Camera – This handheld camera helps us see into every nook and cranny of your mouth with a minimum of poking and prodding. We can also share the digital images of what we see with you so you better understand treatment options.
- Digital X-rays – These X-rays give us clear images in less time than traditional X-rays. They also use less radiation, so they are better for your long-term health.
- OralID Cancer Detection – Laser fluorescence enables us to detect cancerous and precancerous lesions in their earliest stages. Patients who discover the disease in its early stages have an 80 percent survival rate, while those in later stages have a survival rate of less than 50 percent.
Preventive Care Helps Keep Teeth Cavity-Free
Our dentists may also suggest preventive care like fluoride treatments and dental sealants to provide added protection against cavities and other problems. Fluoride strengthens your enamel, while sealants help prevent bacteria from getting into the tiny grooves and ridges on the chewing surfaces of your teeth.
For dental cleanings and exams in The Woodlands, call Smiles by Burgess at 281-720-3163.